Public and private K-12 schools and colleges and universities alike face enormous legal exposure in an ever-increasing litigious and regulated school environment. The Pellegrino Law Firm, P.C., is committed to educating school boards and administrators on the legal risks they face; preventing legal problems before they arise by developing model student, employee and school policies aimed toward minimizing legal exposure; and leading schools through every step of legal disputes that do emerge.
Our firm's Education Law attorneys represent and counsel schools of every size and level. Our Education and School Law group is led by attorney Brian N. Lizotte, who is versed and practiced in the wide body of school law, and who examines a school's legal needs with an insider's eye developed by his experience as an in-house attorney and as associate provost at Yale University, and as assistant head of The Brearley School in Manhattan. Collectively, Pellegrino Law firm's Education Law attorneys have sat on the boards of a host of public and private secondary schools and colleges, and have long represented clients in matters ranging from student discipline to construction finance and zoning.
Scope Of Education Law Services
Legal services that The Pellegrino Law Firm offers to schools and universities include:
- Reviewing, modifying and writing model school and board policies
- Protecting the school with respect to student, faculty and staff affairs, discipline, accommodations (including special education), and grievances
- Independent investigation of intraschool disciplinary matters
- Labor and employment negotiation and defense
- Affirmative action admissions policy
- Title IX coordination and procedure for and oversight of sexual misconduct hearings
- NCAA and other regulatory compliance
- School contract and procurement negotiation and drafting
- Charitable gifts, including negotiating and drafting gift and endowment indentures
- Real estate acquisition, sale and zoning
- Individual and institutional conflicts of interest
- Travel study programs and protections
- Arbitration and litigation of escalated disputes
Contact Our Firm's Education And School Law Attorneys
Our Education and School Law lawyers welcome the opportunity to present to your school's board and/or administration on legal risks you know you face, as well as risks less familiar. We will work with you to develop model school policies to minimize your legal exposure and stand with you through any legal dispute that does occur. Please contact the Pellegrino Law Firm in New Haven, Connecticut, with your inquiry, or call us toll free at 888-265-4698 to arrange a free consultation with one of our Education Law attorneys at our office in New Haven, on-site at your school, or by phone or Skype.