Kevin W. Smith practices in the areas of commercial transactions and commercial and residential real estate, business formations, general civil litigation, workers compensation and personal injury. He is a graduate of Florida State University and the American University Washington College of Law in Washington, D.C. He is admitted to practice before the Courts of the State of Connecticut, the United States District Court of Connecticut, The Second Circuit Court of Appeals and the United States Supreme Court.
Attorney Smith has represented many clients in the sale and purchase of small businesses, such as package and liquor stores, restaurants, motels and convenience stores. This includes the negotiation and preparation of the necessary documents including contracts, leases, deeds, and financing documents. It also includes working closely with the federal, state and local offices that regulate these transactions.
Attorney Smith has been a Hearing Officer for the State of Connecticut Department of Consumer Protection. He was also an Assistant Town Attorney for the Town of Hamden and represented them in litigation matters. He has tried cases in State and Federal Court, Administrative Agencies and The Workers Compensation Commission. In 2007 he was recognized in Connecticut Magazine as a Connecticut Super Lawyer in General Litigation.
Attorney Smith has been a member of the Connecticut Bar Association. He has served as a member of The Executive Committee of the New Haven County Bar Association. He has been a lecturer on Workers Compensation for the Peoples Law School.
Attorney Smith has been active in the Middletown community as a soccer coach and as the head of The Middletown High School girls soccer team Booster Club. He has also served on numerous committees for the Middletown Board of Education. He was the recipient of the United States Marine Corp. Reserve Toys for Tots Program Commanding General Award.
- American University, Washington College of Law, Washington, District of Columbia
- J.D. - 1980
- Florida State University, Tallahassee, Florida
- B.S. - 1977
- Honors: cum laude
- Major: Criminology
Classes & Seminars
- Lecturer, Workers Compensation The Peoples Law School, Connecticut Trial Lawyers Association, 1994 to 2008
- Hamden Fathers Baseball Association Coach, 1994 to 1996
- Middletown Youth Soccer Coach, 2001 to 2010
- Middletown Moody School Indoor Air Quality Committee
- Middletown Moody School Building Committee
- Middletown Wilson Middle School Grade Leveling Committee
- Middletown Elementary Schools Redistricting Committee
- Middletown High School Accreditation Committee
- Kevin W. Smith, Attorney at Law, 1984 to 2013
- Hearing Officer Department of Consumer Protection, 1998 to 1999
- Assistant Town Attorney Town of Hamden, 1986 to 1987
- Paul A. Scholder, Attorney at Law P.C., New Haven, Connecticut, 1981 to 1984
- New Haven Superior Court, Staff Attorney, Judicial Clerkship, 1980 to 1981
- Connecticut Bar Association, Member
- New Haven County Bar Association, Member
- New Haven County Bar Association, Executive Committee, 1992 to 2002
- Commercial Transactions and Commercial and Residential Real Estate
- Business Formations
- General Civil Litigation
- Workers Compensation
- Personal Injury
- Connecticut, 1980
- U.S. District Court District of Connecticut, 1981
- U.S. Federal Courts, 1981
- U.S. Court of Appeals 2nd Circuit, 1986
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1984
- Connecticut Super Lawyer General Litigation Connecticut Magazine, 2007
- United States Marine Corps Reserve Toys for Tots Program Commanding Generals Award, 1993 - 1994